Friday, October 7, 2011

Story Hook

Author's note: This is the story hook from the lesson we learned a few days ago. It's just a journal entry sort of piece, not the beginning of a creative story or essay.

It's the end of high school. If it was up to me, high school wouldn't have ended at all. I'm perfectly fine spending the rest of my days in this time period of my life forever. I've been schooled here in this dojo for my whole life, waiting until I can take in and run the dojo by myself. With is something I do NOT want to do. Even when I was a young child, I didn't want to run this dojo. I knew I could help the world better in another position. The main runner of the dojo, Sensei Chin-Chin, is running out of the moisturizer that lets him survive, to not shrivel up into a little pulp and die. There's a bunch of students going to attempt to find this moisturizer. I'm not allowed to go. Since I'm supposed to run this dojo one day, the other heads of the dojo won't allow me to be put in danger's way. But how am I going to run the dojo if I've never set foot off of the grounds? I won't be ready for the danger I will face. So I'm leaving with them all. Tonight.

1 comment:

  1. This has all the initial elements of a good hook. You have given us a setting, a solid character, and a definite (if arguably minor) conflict for that character to deal with. You end the hook with the character preparing to break the rules, and this allows the reader to wonder how events will now unfold. In future hooks, consider editing your narrative for details that may not be needed.

    ReplyDelete