Thursday, March 22, 2012

Aunt Alexandra

Author's Note: This is a small character point of view that I did in the point of view of Aunt Alexandra. This piece's purpose is to show that Aunt Alexandra wasn't just an awful old woman who didn't have any purpose in life but to be a lady and to try to force Scout to be a lady. She wanted something else out of life, but discovered she couldn't get it. Enjoy!

Life has always been a hardship for me, ever since birth. I've always wanted something more out of life, a way to show people that I'm smarter than they think I am. That I'm not just a simpleminded lady, only thinking about how to act proper and gossip about the rest of the neighborhood. There's more to me than that! Yet I don't understand how to show those feelings. Ever since I was younger, a tinny child of only three years old, my true personality has been shunned. Shunned by everyone in my little world, all of my family. Don't do that! They screeched at me if I began to behave like a "tomboy." It was whipped into my brain that I couldn't be myself, to be prim and proper. Seen, not heard. Never let my opinion be spoken.

It was drilled into my head to place a impenetrable mask over my true self.ll

If I didn't, what would happen to me? I was to be ignored, like I wasn't even in the area. Whenever people looked at me, their eyes glazed and then passed over like I was invisible. That feeling was very well known. In a few years of unsensable rebellion, I threw the mask off and attempted to let people see the real me. After a few days of shock, everyone in my life began to ignore me. I assume they were doing so to make me snap out of it.

It worked.

So, ever since them, I had been Alexandra, perfectly prim and proper in every way possible. A tomboy, rebellious and unkept? Never! That was not me anymore. At least, on the outside. I have perfected the illusion. No one would doubt it, especially not my brother, Atticus. I was going to visit him while he took on his most riskfulled court case ever. Taking care of the children would become my task. Jem, I had no fears about. Scout, though, I was concered for. When I looked at her, I saw my eyes burned exactly into her beautiful face, filled of wonder and joy and curiosity. That final idea was the most frighting. Curosity lead to dangerous situations, where judgement lurked in every corner and being accepted was at risk. If I didn't dim that ray of light in her eyes, it would sweep and grow and take over her whole life, ruining it.

That could not happen to her. As her aunt, I would not allow it. Would it easily be the most challenging task I ever committed? Yes, of course. Would I fail? No. No, I would not.

Society could not allow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment