Thursday, May 12, 2011

Author's Note: This is a different ending to the book Something Borrowed. Sorry if it gives anything away!

I was walking down the road, going to Starbucks, just minding my own business. Once I walked in and sat down with my iced coffee, I saw something that scared me so much.
It was none other than Darcy, staring at me.
Should I be scared of her? I thought to myself. I mean, yes, I was dating her fiancée behind her back, yet she was pregnant with my “boyfriend” Marcus’s child. She is the one who has the most faults, I thought.
After she brought her black coffee, Darcy walked over and sat by me. Both of us just stared at each other, not knowing what to say. I was the first one to break the silence.
“So, how have things been?” I asked her.
“They have been better,” she said. “How’s living with my ex-fiancée?
“Great,” I told her. “How’s being pregnant with Marcus’s baby? Are you living with him? Or did he kick you out?”
“Wonderful,” Darcy told me. “No, he didn’t kick me out, either.”
She snapped it back at me. Even though she did all of those things to me, I was sorry about what I did to her. I knew that I needed to apologize.
“I’m sorry, Darcy. I don’t want to attack you with accusations. Also, I am truly sorry for what happened between Dexter and I. Please know that I didn’t do it on purpose, and I didn’t want it to happen that way. I wish I would have gone out with him in law school, instead of him making a move on me when he was engaged to you. I truly wish it didn’t happen this way.”
“Thank you,” Darcy said back to me. “That means a lot. I know, too, that I’m not perfect and I’m also at fault. I mean, you’re not the one who is pregnant.” 
She looked down at her belly, which was slightly bigger, yet not enough to make her look truly pregnant. Darcy just looked like she had gained about ten pounds.
“How many months are you?” I asked her.
Darcy told me that she was about two and a half months. She was due on June 23.
“Do you know if it is a boy or a girl?”
“It’s a girl. I didn’t have an ultrasound done, but I know in my heart that it’s a girl. I’ve always wanted a baby girl; even if things haven’t gone out the way I wanted it to go. Yet, even with all of this going on, I think I’m happy. Are you happy, Rachel?
It was a very difficult question to answer.
“Am I happy? I’m happy with Dexter. I’m not happy with the way our relationship has gone. I want us to try to be friends again. Do you want to try it out?
“I’d love to,” she said. “Even though it probably won’t ever be the same, I want to try. OK? I’ll call you soon,” Darcy said. “Now I have to go.”
We both stood up and hugged.
“I’ll see you soon,” I said, and smiled. She smiled back and walked out of Starbucks.
Wow, I thought, as I walked out of the coffee shop. That one conversion changed the whole way Darcy and I’s relationship was going to go. In a million years, that was never the outcome about our friendship that I would have imagined.  
               


1 comment:

  1. This is great! It makes me want to read the original story! Well done.

    ReplyDelete