Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Something Borrowed Essay Response

How would you feel if your best friend got everything that she wanted? There was almost nothing left for you. This is exactly how Rachel feels in Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. Rachel’s best friend Darcy got everything that she wanted, even her old college crush as her fiancée. Darcy just felt that it was her life, and she deserved everything. Both sides are quite easy to connect with. Which side can you connect with? Something Borrowed, by Emily Giffin, is a great novel that shows that there is more than one side to every story.
Almost every person can connect with both Rachel and Darcy. All of us have been in a situation like that, and most of us were unsure of what to do. That’s exactly how Rachel felt. Rachel was sick of her best friend getting everything that she wanted, excluding her crush for her fiancée. Tired of it, she confessed her feelings to Dexter. Rachel was horrified and overjoyed to hear that he felt the same way. Would I ever do that to a friend, even if she was selfish? Probably not, yet I’ve never been in such a confusing situation that Rachel was in. I’m not sure exactly what I would do, though I understand why she did it. Dexter was who she loved, and sometimes with love, you have to push boundaries.
Even though it seems like Rachel is the clear winner of this fight, don’t forget Darcy’s side of the story. She got everything that she wanted, ever since Darcy was a young girl. It was all that she knew, and as she got older, Darcy had to get everything, no matter what the cost. It wasn’t that she purposely did it, yet it was all that she knew. Can I connect with Darcy and her need to get everything? Even though I know why Darcy felt like this, it’s difficult for me to connect with it. Every once in a while, I feel like I want things I don’t have, yet I would never go to the extreme that Darcy goes to. Yet, when you want something so badly, you will do whatever it takes to get it.
Emily Giffin’s wonderfully written book shows you what happens between two friends when they fight over something they both feel is rightfully theirs. Rachel and Darcy loved Dexter, and they knew he loved them both. Darcy felt like she needed to win his heart, and Rachel just wanted to keep the peace. It’s simple to connect with both characters in a certain way. Who can you connect with most? Something Borrowed, by Emily Giffin, is a great story that shows each person has a secret. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, let me just say I can see why you are going to be in Adv. Lang. Arts next year. This essay really shows that you understand the book and you have the ability to connect with characters. Great job.

    ReplyDelete